Monday, February 18, 2013

Laugh to Keep From Crying

      Today is President's Day. Another one of those holidays that the kids could care less about, but they get the day off of school anyway. It is pouring down rain, thundering & lightning here. Just as I get on the computer to work, I hear...."MOM, I'm bored!".
That was my 12 year old who doesn't think he will live if he has to go a whole day without video games or cable. Of course, my answer was "I have some things for you to do, clean your room, play one of your games, make me something cool." But of course, THAT is not what he wanted to hear.
     Not long after, my 16 year old comes in and says, "Mom, what can I have to eat?" She just ate an entire frozen pizza and a plate of corn, but somehow felt that she was still starving.
I come out of my "office" for a minute, just to look around and see  why it is so hard for a 12 and 16 year old to fend for themselves for all of an hour while Mom gets some work done.
     The first thing I notice was Chance our dog, spinning circles at the front door..."Can ANYONE take him out please?" Then my eyes glance to the kitchen where I see an empty pizza box, and dirty dishes on the counter..."Do we NOT know how to find the trashcan?" There were things strung from one end of the house to the other, music blaring from one of the bedrooms, and the TV in the living room turned up loud enough to hear over the music. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? About that time my son throws a piece of paper across the living room into the kitchen, hitting the side of the trash can and falling on the floor. I gave him "The look". He says, "What, I'm throwing it away. I was just trying to have some fun!"
     I covered my eyes, and shook my head. I was so frustrated I wanted to cry. I take a deep breath, and decided to lighten up. It is their day off after all. I picked up the paper and slam dunked it into the trash can, followed by my daughter launching her balled up pizza box in the same fashion. They walked around picking up everything they could find to "shoot" into the trashcan, which turned into a game where we kept score and all. I could feel the tension release, and my mind unclutter for a few moments while I had fun with them, and kept myself from going completely insane. After our game, they began picking up other messes, and finding things to help with...on their own. I guess just having a little family fun was enough to get them off their butts. The dog got taken out, laundry was thrown in, beds were made, and quiet grew among the house again.

     Sometimes we just need to laugh to keep from crying. Take a break in our day to see things a little different. I am ready for them to go back to school tomorrow, but glad that I took a few moments to stop what I was doing and enjoy the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment